Do you feel like you are floating through life letting it take you where it wants to take you? Or, do you feel like you are making decisions in life that have a big influence over where you go? One of these life paths is living by design and the other is living by default. Which path are you on?
Are You Living By Default?
This path is where you put your life in other people’s hands. You don’t have an idea where you are going, so you don’t take action on anything that you really want to achieve. Instead, your life is determined by other people who decide how you will feel and behave today, tomorrow, and every day.
This may seem like I’m exaggerating, but I’m really not. When you live by default, you follow the crowd and do what others are doing. You let things happen to you and affect your life in whatever way they want instead of tweaking things that happen to your liking.
Someone living by default may look like this:
– They work at a job they don’t necessarily love.
– They feel chaotic, pulled in different directions, out of control of their own life, and unhappy.
– They do what is expected of them because they want to live up to a standard set by other people.
– They don’t take the time to do the stuff that really makes them happy in life because they are too busy trying to do stuff for others.
– They have a problem saying no to people – even when they really want to say it.
– They have no plans for the future, no direction, no goals.
– They have many regrets and disappointments in life.
– They have a negative and pessimistic attitude towards life.
Are You Living By Design?
This path is where you put your life in your hands as much as possible. You know where you want to go, how you want to get there, and what you need to do to make it happen. Other people don’t influence your decisions in life, and they don’t influence how your life is going to go.
In other words, they are taking charge of their life. They know who they are and who they want to be, and they do stuff to get them there.
Someone living by design may look like this:
– They have goals that they are working towards.
– They are optimistic about life and where they are going.
– They see failure as an opportunity rather than a dead end.
– They have habits that support the life that they want.
– They can say that they have done the best that they could in everything they have done.
– They respect others for who they are because they know that everyone has their own beliefs, habits, and dreams.
– They feel in control and on track in life.
– They can say no to things that don’t serve any positive purpose for them.
– They do things that make them feel good and positive about life.
Why Living By Design Is The Better Option
Living by design may seem like more effort, but it really is the better option for your happiness and success in life. When you stop following the crowd and start living a life that makes you feel happy and satisfied, you are rewarded. Life feels more purposeful and important, and the world doesn’t feel like a place that is out to get you, but rather a place that is there to support you. In short, life becomes worth living.