Most of what you have done today has been done from habit. Your habitual routines determine how your today and tomorrow will be, and they help shape you into the person you are. We all run on habits – both good and bad – that impact our lives in a very real way. Therefore, the only way to change your life for the better is to change your habits. That’s the power of habit!
A Routine Filled With Good Habits Creates Success
The one thing all successful people have in common is good habits. Most of them have worked on building the habits that contributed to their overall goals in a positive way. For instance:
– Successful business owners have developed the habits of staying motivated and focused on their business and taking consistent action.
– Physically fit people have developed the habits of working out every day, building or maintaining their strength, and eating right.
– A positive person who is well liked has developed the habits of talking to themselves in a positive way and communicating with others effectively.
– People in happy and healthy relationships have developed the habits of solving problems when they arise and respecting their partner.
A Routine Filled With Bad Habits Creates All Things Negative
Stress, worry, fear, pain, poor health, anger, financial issues, bad relationships, and everything else that feels negative stems from bad habits. These include:
– Not exercising
– Poor diet
– Negative self-talk
– Living in the future or past instead of the now
– Treating people with disrespect
– Spending too much money
And on and on the list goes. There are many bad habits that can affect you negatively.
How To Make Your Habits Work For You
First, you have to recognize which habits are really affecting your life negatively. Chances are you already know most of them, but there are some that have not come into your awareness yet as negative. You can find these habits by paying attention to how you feel throughout your day.
As you go through your day, pay attention to what you do automatically and how you feel afterward. For instance:
– Do you judge people negatively without thought and feel angry or upset afterward?
– Do you choose to sit on the couch rather than go for a walk after supper and feel tired and unhealthy because of it?
– Do you pick up food instead of making your own and feel bloated or sick afterward?
– Do you hang out with negative friends at work and feel negative when you go back to work?
Take the time to notice when you are feeling low energy, negative, or off track, and recognize which habit is causing you to feel that way.
Once you figure out which habits contribute to your life negatively, pick one or two that have the biggest impact on your life and decide what you want to replace them with. For instance, if you judge people negatively without thought, you may want to stop and think about things from their perspective instead of your own. Developing this one habit, will affect your happiness, your relationships, and your success in a big way.
Don’t try to change more than a few habits a time. Even with the best intention, it can be hard to turn your days completely upside down. It requires a lot of energy to stop doing things that are normally done automatically and replace them with other ways of doing things, and if you get too drained, you will give up completely.
Have Faith In Your Ability To Change
Habits can be hard to change, which is why you need to take it one step at a time. Don’t get discouraged when you find yourself habitually doing something you don’t want to do. Instead, remind yourself of what you want to be doing instead, and then do something small towards it.
For instance, if you catch yourself judging someone, stop and recognize how it makes you feel. Angry? Sad? Hopeless? Then, remind yourself of how you want to view things differently from now on and take a second to see things from their perspective.
Keep this in mind: Just the fact that you can be aware of negative habits should give you faith that you can change them. When you have that type of awareness, you have the power to make positive choices that help you get to where you want to go. It’s when you are completely unaware of how your habits affect your life that you will not be able to change.